Dr. Peter Veres obtained Master and PhD degrees at Comenius University in Bratislava. His theses were oriented on populations of meteoroids originated from asteroids and telescopic survey simulation on a small wide-field survey telescope. As a telescope operator at AGO Observatory of Comenius University he participated in photometric survey of binary asteroids and follow-up of NEO candidates. Since 2008, while visiting Institute for Astronomy at University of Hawaii, he was involved in Pan-STARRS project, ranging from simulation of survey efficiency in detection potential Earth-impacting asteroids. From 2011 until 2014 as a postdoc at University of Hawaii he worked among Pan-STARRS MOPS team discovering asteroids and comets and improving the Pan-STARRS system. Since 2015 he is working at JPL in 392R division (Solar System Dynamics) on Solar System simulations and residual statistics of asteroid orbits and potential Earth-impactors and data mining, precovery and follow-up observations from Pan-STARRS survey.
- PhD, Astronomy & Astrophysics, Comenius University, Slovakia (2010)
- MS, Physics, Comenius University, Slovakia (2006)
Solar system surveys – discovery of asteroids and comets, follow-up, design of survey strategies; characterization of physical properties of asteroids – optical photometry, observational astronomy; orbital evolution of meteors and meteoroid populations – origin of asteroidal meteors – tidal breakup of asteroids due to close approach to planets; photometric observation and characterization of transiting exoplanets
- IT Specialist, QualityUnit, Slovakia (2009)
- Astronomer, Comenius University, Slovakia (2010-2011)
- PS1 MOPS Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Hawaii, USA (2011-2014)
- Research scientist, Comenius University, Slovakia (2014-2015)
- Caltech Postdoctoral Scholar, Caltech, USA (2015 onwards)
- SAIA grant (2008) – scholarship for University of Hawaii exchange program
- Vereš, P., Farnocchia, D., Jedicke, R., Spoto, F.: 2014. The effect of parallax and cadence on asteroid impact probabilities and warning times. PASP 126, 433
- Vereš, P., Jedicke, R., Denneau, L., Wainscoat, R., Holman, M., Lin, H.-W.: 2012. Improved Asteroid Astrometry and Photometry with Trail Fitting. PASP 124, 921
- Vereš, P., Kornoš, L. and Tóth J.: 2010. Meteor showers of comet C/1917 F1 Mellish, MNRAS 412, 511.
- Vereš, P., Jedicke, R., Wainscoat, R., Granvik, M., Chesley, S., Abe, S., Denneau, L. and Grav, T. 2009.: Detection of Earth-impacting asteroids with the next generation all-sky surveys, Icarus 203, 472
- Vereš, P., Klačka, J., Kómar, L. and Tóth, J.: 2008. Motion of a meteoroid released from and asteroid. Earth, Moon and planets 102, 59
- Vereš, P., Tóth, J. and Kornoš, L.: 2006. Search for very close approaching NEAs. CAOSP 36, 17