Donald K. Yeomans
- Ph.D. University of Maryland, Astronomy
- M. Sc. University of Maryland, Astronomy
- B.A. Middlebury College
- Motions and characterization of comets and asteroids
- Near-Earth objects
- Solar System Dynamics
- Ephemeris development
- History of astronomy
Professional Experience – Jet Propulsion Laboratory (1976 - )
Flight Project Experience
- Manager, NASA’s Near-Earth Object Program Office (1998 - )
- Supervisor, Solar system Dynamics Group (343R, 1992 - )
- JPL Fellow (2010 - )
- JPL Senior Research Scientist (1994 - )
- Detection co-lead for NASA report to Congress; Near-Earth Object Survey and Deflection Study (2006).
- Provided oral testimony on next generation search for near-Earth objects to U.S. House of Rep. Subcommittee on Space and Aeronautics (Nov. 8, 2007).
- Chair and Vice Chair, AAS Division of Planetary Sciences (1996 – 1999)
- Chair and Vice Chair, AAS History of Astronomy Division (2003 – 2006)
- Member, JPL Senior Research Scientist Promotion Advisory Board (2006- )
- Chair, JPL Division 31 Principal Promotion Advisory Board (2004)
- Member, JPL Division 31 Principal Promotion Advisory Board (2005, 2006, 2007)
- Chair, Division of Dynamical Astronomy, Brouwer Award Committee (2005)
- Chair, NASA Near-Earth Objects Review Panel (1999-2000, 2003-2004)
- Chair, NASA Planetary Astronomy Review Panel (1994-95)
- U.S. delegate for Interagency Consultative Group (NASA, 1998)
- Discipline Specialist for Astrometry, International Halley Watch, (1982 - 1989)
- U.S. Project Scientist, Japanese Hayabusa mission to asteroid Itokawa (1998 - 2012 )
- Near Earth Asteroid Rendezvous Radio Science Team Leader (1994 – 2001)
- Co-I, Deep Impact and EPOXI projects (1999 - )
- Co-I, CONTOUR (1997 – 2002)
- Radio Science Team Leader, Comet Rendezvous-Asteroid Flyby mission (1986 – 1992)
- NASA Distinguished Service Medal (2009)
- NASA Exceptional Service Medal (1986)
- 16 NASA Group Achievement Awards (1986 - 2009)
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, Dept. of Astronomy, Univ. of Maryland (2005)
- Middlebury College Alumni Achievement Award (Oct., 1987)
- Smithsonian Institution’s National Air and Space Museum Aerospace Trophy For Current Achievement (2001). (To NASA’s Near-Earth Asteroid mission team).
- Space Act Award for “Horizons On-Line Ephemeris and Data System.” (1998).
- Asteroid 2956 Yeomans, (1986).
- William H. Pickering Lecturer, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, August 2005.
- Cited in American Men and Women of Science, Dictionary of International Biography, and Who's Who in America.
- 17 NASA Group Achievement awards
More than 170 research papers and 4 books