- B.S. Physics, California Institute of Technology (1981)
- Ph.D. Physics, University of California, Berkeley (1987)
- Submillimeter and far-infrared astrophysics and instrumentation
- Photon detection, including superconducting detectors and multiplexing techniques
- Jet Propulsion Laboratory (2005-present)
- Director, Microdevices Laboraratory (2007-present)
- Senior Research Scientist (2006-present)
- Caltech/JPL Joint Appointment (2005-present)
- California Institute of Technology (1990-present)
- Professor of Physics (2000-present)
- Associate Professor of Physics (1995-2000)
- Assistant Professor of Physics (1990-1995)
- University of Illinois - Postdoctoral Researcher with Profs. K.-Y. Lo and D. Van Harlingen (1988-89)
- University of California, Berkeley - Graduate student with Dr. A. L. Betz and Prof. R. L. Genzel (1981-87)
- Herschel Space Observatory: 1.2 THz mixer for the HIFI instrument
- SOFIA Airborne Observatory: CASIMIR 0.5-1.4 THz heterodyne spectrometer
- Zspec: A broadband millimeter-wavelength grating spectrometer
- MUSIC: MUltiwavelength Sub/millimeter kinetic Inductance Camera for the Caltech Submillimeter Observatory
- CCAT: A 25m submillimeter telescope on Cerro Chajnantor, Chile
- NSF Presidential Young Investigator (1990-95)
- ASCIT Teaching Award (1995)
- Scottish Universities Physics Alliance (SUPA) Distinguished Visitor (2007)
- J. Zmuidzinas and H. G. LeDuc, "Quasi-optical slot antenna SIS mixers," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., vol. MTT-40, pp. 1797-1804, 1992.
- D. A. Neufeld, J. Zmuidzinas, P. Schilke, and T. G. Phillips, "Discovery of interstellar hydrogen fluoride," Ap. J. (Lett.), vol. 488, pp. L141-L144, Oct. 1997.
- J. S. Ward, J. Zmuidzinas, A. I. Harris, and K. G. Isaak, A12CO J = 6 - 5 Map of M82: The significance of warm molecular gas," Ap. J., vol. 587, pp. 171-185, Apr. 2003.
- P. Day, H. G. LeDuc, B. A. Mazin, A. Vayonakis, and J. Zmuidzinas, "A broadband superconducting detector suitable for use in large arrays," Nature, vol. 425, pp. 817-821, Oct. 2003.
- J. Zmuidzinas and P. L. Richards, "Superconducting detectors and mixers for millimeter and submillimeter astrophysics," Proc. IEEE, vol. 92, pp. 1597-1616, Oct. 2004.
- J. Gao, M. Daal, A. Vayonakis, S. Kumar, J. Zmuidzinas, B. Sadoulet, B. A. Mazin, P. K. Day, and H. G. Leduc, "Experimental evidence for a surface distribution of two- level systems in superconducting lithographed microwave resonators," Applied Physics Letters, vol. 92, p. 152505, Apr. 2008.
- C. M. Bradford, J. E. Aguirre, R. Aikin, J. J. Bock, L. Earle, J. Glenn, H. Inami, P. R. Maloney, H. Matsuhara, B. J. Naylor, H. T. Nguyen, and J. Zmuidzinas, "The Warm Molecular Gas around the Cloverleaf Quasar," Ap. J., vol. 705, pp. 112-122, Nov. 2009.