A California Institute of Technology (Caltech) postdoctoral researcher at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL). I am currently investigating how best to change the path of an asteroid that is set on collision course with our planet. More precisely, I am working on making asteroid deflection as safe as possible by understanding where exactly the asteroid is going, once we have manipulated its orbit. During my time as a postdoctoral researcher at the Institute for Celestial Mechanics and Ephemeris Calculation (IMCCE) I was working for the European led NEOShield project, an international effort to advance our understanding of asteroid threat mitigation options. Apart from Near Earth objects, I am interested in extra solar planets orbiting in double star systems. An Earth with two suns may sound like science fiction, but many planets have already been discovered in such configurations. Following up on results in my doctoral thesis that I wrote during my studies with the Astro Dynamics Group (ADG) of the University of Vienna my collaborators and me are looking into where one can find habitable, Earth-like planets in double star systems.
- 2013 PhD at the University of Vienna, Austria
- 2009 Master in Physics at the University of Vienna, Austria
- 2008 Master in Astronomy at the University of Vienna, Austria
near-Earth asteroids, asteroid deflection missions, impact risk assessment, astrodynamics and celestial mechanics, extrasolar planets and habitability
- 2016-present: California Insitute of Technology postdoctoral fellow at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory
- 2013-2016: European Commission NEOShield postdoctoral fellow at the Institute for Celestial Mechanics and Ephemeris computation (IMCCE) of the Observatoire de Paris, Paris France
- Best Poster Award at Celmech VI, Viterbo, Italy 2013
- International Space University, Morla Milne Award for Academic Excellence, Graz, Austria, 2011
- Eggl, S., Hestroffer, D., et al. Dealing with uncertainties in asteroid deflection demonstration missions: NEOTwIST. In Chesley, S. R., Morbidelli, A., Jedicke, R., & Farnocchia, D., editors, IAU Symposium, volume 318 of IAU Symposium, pages 231–238, January 2016.
- Eggl, S., Hestroffer, D., Thuillot, W., Bancelin, D., Cano, J. L., & Cichocki, F. Post mitigation impact risk analysis for asteroid deflection demonstration missions. Advances in Space Research, 56:528–548, August 2015.
- Georgakarakos, N. and Eggl, S., 2015. Analytic Orbit Propagation for Transiting Circumbinary Planets. The Astrophysical Journal, 802(2):94, June 2015
- Eggl, S., Pilat-Lohinger, E., Georgakarakos, N., Gyergyovits, M., & Funk, B. An Analytic Method to Determine Habitable Zones for S-Type Planetary Orbits in Binary Star Systems. The Astrophysical Journal, 752:74, June 2012.
- Eggl, S. Refinement of Near Earth Asteroids’ orbital elements via simultaneous measurements by two observers. Celestial Mechanics and Dynamical Astronomy, 109:211–228, March 2011.