Dr. Melanie Delapierre is a postdoctoral scholar in the Dynamics and Structures group in the Payload and Small Spacecraft Mechanical Engineering section at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory. Her research interests include deployment of large structures, topology optimization, and dynamics. She is advancing topology optimization capabilities at JPL through benchmarking and tool development. She has performed FEM simulations for a wide range of applications including mesh deployment simulations for the Lunar Crater Radio Telescope NIAC proposal (now selected for Phase II), impact simulations for the SHIELD low-cost Mars lander project, and viscoelastic simulations of the optical petals of the Starshade exoplanet detection mission. She received her PhD from the Space Structures Laboratory at Caltech where she studied the dynamics and stability of spinning membranes as novel space structures. She also helped develop the early-stage conceptual design of a space-based solar power plant in collaboration with a multidisciplinary team.
- Ph.D., Space Engineering, California Institute of Technology, 2017
- M.S., Space Engineering, California Institute of Technology, 2013
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, Ecole Polytechnique (France), 2012
Topology Optimization, Deployment of structures, Dynamics
- 2020–Present JPL Postdoctoral Fellow, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology
- 2018–2020 Vice President and Associate, Model Risk Management, Goldman Sachs, London, UK
- 2013–2017 Graduate Research Assistant, Space Structures Laboratory, California Institute of Technology
- 2013 Kalam Prize for Aerospace Engineering, Caltech
- 2012 Keck Institute for Space Studies Fellowship, Caltech
- 2012 Research Internship Award, Ecole Polytechnique
- Bandyopadhyay S., McGarey P., Goel A., Rafizadeh R., Delapierre M., et al., Conceptual Design of the Lunar Crater Radio Telescope (LCRT) on the Far Side of the Moon. IEEE Aerospace Conference, 2021.
- Sader J. E., Delapierre M., Pellegrino S., Shear induced-buckling of a thin elastic disk undergoing spin-up, International Journal of Solids and Structures, vol.166, pp.75-82, 2019.
- Delapierre M., Haegeli Lohaus S., Pellegrino S., Nonlinear vibration of transversely-loaded spinning membranes, Journal of Sound and Vibrations, vol.427, pp.41-62,2018
- Delapierre, M., Chakraborty D., Sader J. E., Pellegrino S., Wrinkling of transversely-loaded spinning membranes, International Journal of Solids and Structures, vol.139-140, pp.163-173, 2018
- Delapierre M., Pellegrino S., Membrane spin up in a normal gravity field: experiments and simulations, Jan 2016, 3rd AIAA Spacecraft Structures Conference, AIAA SciTech, (AIAA 2016-1216).
- Delapierre M., Pellegrino S., Spin-stabilized membrane antenna structures, Jan2015, 2nd AIAA Spacecraft Structures Conference, AIAA SciTech, (AIAA 2015-1403)