- Ph.D. Physics (Optics), 1981, University of Reading, U.K.
- M.Sc. (with Distinction), Applied and Modern Optics, 1977, University of Reading, U.K.
- B.Sc. Physics, 1976, University of Athens, Greece
- Spectroscopic instrumentation
- Imaging spectroscopy for remote and in-situ sensing
- Optical design
- Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology, Principal Engineer, Senior Research Scientist, Group Supervisor, 1996-present
- Center for Imaging Science, Rochester Institute of Technology, Assistant / Associate Professor, 1986-1996
- Canadian Instrumentation & Research Ltd., Senior Physicist, 1981-1986
- Fellow of SPIE
- Fellow of the Optical Society of America
- NASA Exceptional Technology Achievement Medal for spectrometer development
Selected Professional Society Contributions
- Topical Editor, Optics Letters (2002-2008)
- Chair, SPIE annual conference on Current Developments in Lens Design and Optical Engineering (2003-2009)
- P. Mouroulis and J. Macdonald, Geometrical Optics and Optical Design, Oxford University Press, 1997.
- P. Mouroulis (Ed.): Visual Instrumentation: Optical Design and Engineering Principles, McGraw-Hill, 1999.
- P. Mouroulis: “Aberration and Image Quality Representation for Visual Optical Systems” (Ch. 2)
- P. Mouroulis and A. Deslis: “Image Quality Assessment and Optimization” (Ch. 5) in Visual Instrumentation: Optical Design and Engineering Principles, McGraw-Hill, (1999)
- P. Mouroulis: “Optical Image Formation”, The Wiley Encyclopedia of Imaging, pp. 1072-1106 (2002).
- V. N. Mahajan and P. Mouroulis: “Aberrations”, Encyclopedia of Optical Engineering, pp. 1-25, Marcel Dekker, (2003)
- P. Mouroulis: “Optical Design” The Optics Encyclopedia Vol. 3, pp. 1903-1943, Wiley VCH (2004)
- P. Mouroulis: “Diffraction Grating” entry in the McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science and Technology (2005)
Selected recent publications
- P. Mouroulis and Hongping Zhang: "Visual instrument image quality metrics and the effects of coma and astigmatism", J. Opt. Soc. Am. A 9, 34-42 (1992).
- P. Mouroulis: "Fiber ring resonator with power exchange between polarization modes: experiment", Appl. Opt. 31, 2025-2029 (1992).
- P. Mouroulis: "Polarization-independent operation of reflective fiber ring resonators" Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett. 6, 795-797 (1993).
- P. Mouroulis, T. Kim, and G. Zhao: "Transverse color tolerances for visual optical systems" Appl. Opt. 32, 7089-7094 (1993).
- P. Mouroulis and X. Cheng: "Robustness of visual image quality measures against various monochromatic aberrations", Optical Engineering 33, 2626-2631 (1994).
- G. Zhao and P. Mouroulis: "Diffusion model of hologram formation in dry photopolymer materials" J. Mod. Optics. 41, 1929-1939 (1994).
- G. Zhao and P. Mouroulis: "Second order grating formation in dry holographic photopolymers", Opt. Commun. 115, 528-532 (1995).
- K. Lyons, P. Mouroulis, and D. Cheng: "The effect of instrumental spherical aberration on visual image quality", J. Opt. Soc. Am. A. 13, 193-205 (1996).
- P. Mouroulis, D. W. Wilson, P. D. Maker, R. E. Muller: “Convex grating types for concentric imaging spectrometers”, Appl. Opt. 37, 7200-7208 (1998).
- P. Mouroulis and M. McKerns: “Pushbroom imaging spectrometer with high spectroscopic data fidelity: experimental demonstration”, Opt. Eng. 39, 808-816 (2000).
- P. Mouroulis, R. O. Green, and T. G. Chrien: “Design of pushbroom imaging spectrometers for optimum recovery of spectroscopic and spatial information”, Appl. Opt. 39, 2210-2220 (2000).
- P. Mouroulis, F. T. Hartley, D. W. Wilson, V. E. White, A. Shori, S. Nguyen, M. Zhang, and M. Feldman, "Blazed grating fabrication through gray-scale X-ray lithography," Opt. Express 11, 270-281 (2003)
- P. Mouroulis: “Optical design and engineering: lessons learned” in Tribute to Warren Smith: A Legacy in Lens Design and Optical Engineering, Proc. SPIE 5865, 8-21, (2005)
- P. Mouroulis and S. B. Shaklan: “Optical design of the Terrestrial Planet Finder Coronagraph starlight suppression system” Proc. SPIE 5874, 187-197, (2005)
- P. Mouroulis, R. Glenn Sellar, D. W. Wilson, J. J. Shea, and R. O. Green: “Optical design of a compact imaging spectrometer for planetary mineralogy”, Opt. Eng. 46(6) 063001 (2007)
- P. Mouroulis and R. O. Green: “Spectral response evaluation and computation for pushbroom imaging spectrometers”, Proc. SPIE 6667, 66670G (2007)
- P. Mouroulis: “Depth of field extension with spherical optics”, Opt. Express 16,12996-13004 (2008)
- P. Mouroulis, R. O. Green, and D. W. Wilson: “Optical design of a coastal ocean imaging spectrometer”, Opt. Express 16, 9087-9095 (2008)
- P. Mouroulis, B. Van Gorp, D. Blaney, and R. O. Green: “Reflectance microspectroscopy of natural rock samples in the visible and near infrared”, Appl. Spectrosc. 62, 1370-1377 (2008)
- P. Mouroulis, B. Van Gorp, V. E. White, J. M. Mumolo, D. Hebert, and M. Feldman: “A compact, fast, wide-field imaging spectrometer system” Proc. SPIE 8032, 80320U (2011)