- B.S./M.S. Physics, Petrozavodsk State University, Petrozavodsk, Russia (1979)
- Ph.D. Physics, Moscow State Pedagogical University, Moscow, Russia (1988)
- Hot-electron bolometers
- Terahertz heterodyne and direct detectors
- Single-photon optical and IR detectors
- Jet Propulsion Laboratory (1995 - Present)
- Senior Research Scientist (2015 - Present)
- Principal Physicist (2000-2015)
- Senior Member of Technical Staff (1997-2000)
- Member of Technical Staff (1995-1997)
- Moscow State Pedagogical University (MSPU), Moscow, Russia
- Lead/Senior Scientist (1992–1995)
- Chalmers University of Technology, Gothenburg, Sweden
- Visiting Scientist (1993-1995)
- University of Regensburg, Regensburg, Germany.
- Visiting Scientist (1992)
- Karelian State Pedagogical Institute, Petrozavodsk, Russia
- Associate Professor /Assistant Professor (1988-1992)
- Staff Researcher (1981-1984)
- R&D Center “Vega”, Ryazan, Russia
- Research Engineer (1979-1981)
- NASA Certificate of Appreciation (2000, 2014)
- JPL Team Bonus Award (2007)
- NASA Certificates of Recognition (1997, 2000, 2004, 2007)
- NASA Group Achievement Award (2001, 2006)
- JPL Excellence Award (1997)
- JPL NOVA Award (1997)
- B. S. Karasik, C. B. McKitterick, T. Reck, and D. E. Prober, “Normal Metal Hot-Electron Nanobolometer with Johnson Noise Thermometry Readout,” IEEE Transactions on THz Science and Technology, vol.5, no. 1, pp. 16-21 (2015).
- D. P. Cunnane, J. H. Kawamura, M. A. Wolak, N. Acharya, T. Tan, X. X. Xi, and B. S. Karasik, “Characterization of MgB2 Superconducting Hot Electron Bolometers,” IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, vol. 25, no. 3, pt. 1, pp. 2300206 (2015).
- B. S. Karasik, S. V. Pereverzev, A. Soibel, D. F. Santavicca, D. E. Prober, D. Olaya, and M. E. Gershenson, “Energy-resolved detection of single infrared photons with l = 8 µm using a superconducting microbolometer,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 101, no. 5, pp. 052601 (2012).
- B.S. Karasik, A.V. Sergeev, and D.E. Prober, “Nanobolometers for THz Photon Detection (invited paper),” IEEE Transactions on THz Science and Technology, vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 97-111 (2011).
- B.S. Karasik and R. Cantor, “Demonstration of high optical sensitivity in far-infrared hot-electron bolometer,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 98, no. 19, pp. 193503 (2011).
- J. Wei, D. Olaya, B.S. Karasik, S.V. Pereverzev, A.V. Sergeev, and M.E. Gershenson, “Ultrasensitive Hot-electron Nanobolometers for Terahertz Astrophysics,” Nature Nanotechnology, vol. 3, no. 8, pp. 496-500 (2008).
- A.V. Sergeev, V.V. Mitin, and B.S. Karasik, “Ultrasensitive Hot-Electron Kinetic-Inductance Detectors Operating Well Below Superconducting Transition,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 80, no. 5, pp. 817-819 (2002).
- B.S. Karasik, W.R. McGrath, M.E. Gershenson, and A.V. Sergeev, "Photon-noise-limited direct detector based on disorder-controlled electron heating,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 87, no. 10, pp. 7586-7588 (2000).
- K.S. Il’in, N.G. Ptitsina, A.V. Sergeev, G.N. Gol’tsman, E.M. Gershenzon, B.S. Karasik, E.V. Pechen’, and S.I. Krasnosvobodtsev, "Interrelation of Resistivity and Inelastic Electron-Phonon Scattering Rate in Impure NbC Films,” Physical Review B, vol. 57, pp.15623-15628 (1998).
- B.S. Karasik, M.C. Gaidis, W.R. McGrath, B. Bumble, and H.G. LeDuc, "Low Noise in a Diffusion-Cooled Hot-Electron Mixer at 2.5 THz,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 71, no. 11, pp.1567-1569 (1997).
- E.M. Gershenzon, G.N. Gol'tsman, I.G. Gogidze, Yu.P. Gousev, A.I. Elant'ev, B.S. Karasik, and A.D. Semenov, "Millimeter and submillimeter range mixer based on electron heating of superconducting films in the resistive state,” Sverkhprovodimost’ (KIAE), vol. 3, no. 10, pp. 2143-2160 (1990) [Sov. Superconductivity, vol. 3, no. 10, pp. 1582-1597 (1990)].