- Ph.D. 1984, State University of New York, Stonybrook
- MS, 1979, State University of New York, Stonybrook
- BA, 1976, City University of New York, Queens College
Stochastic control, adaptive control, signal processing, nonlinear filtering, system identification, robust control, dynamic programming/optimization, spacecraft control, and control of large flexible structures
- Senior Research Scientist, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
- Group Leader, Sect 343H, Guidance & Control Analysis Group
Professional Society Memberships
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Associate Fellow
- Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers, Senior Member
- Society of Industrial and Applied Mathematics
Society and Editorial Services
- IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, Associate Editor (2000-2003)
- AIAA Technical Committee on Multi-Disciplinary Optimization (MDO) (1998-2002)
- Visiting Professor, State University of New York, Stonybrook (1984)
- Lecturer, USC Medical School, Laboratory of Pharmacokinetics (2005-2009)
- Control Engineering Practice Award (2006), American Automatic Control Council (AACC)
- NASA Exceptional Engineering Achievement Medal (2005)
- NASA Exceptional Achievement Medal (2002)
- NASA Exceptional Service Medal (1995)
- Four (4) US patents
- Over 150 publications in professional peer-reviewed journals and conferences
- Over 50 NASA Tech Brief Awards
- D.S. Bayard, “High Precision Three-Axis Pointing and Control” (Book Chapter) Encyclopedia of Aerospace Engineering. (to appear in 2010) Wiley-Blackwell Publishers, Hoboken, NJ.
- D.S. Bayard, “Reduced-Order Kalman Filtering with Relative Measurements,” J. Guidance, Control and Dynamics, Vol. 32, No. 2, pp. 679-686, March-April, 2009.
- D.S. Bayard, B.H. Kang, P.B. Brugarloas, D. Boussalis, “Focal Plane Calibration of the Spitzer Space Telescope: A High-Order Kalman Filtering Approach,” Invited Paper, IEEE Control Systems Magazine, Special Edition on Applications of the Kalman Filter, Vol. 29, No. 6, pp. 47-70, December 2009.
- D.S. Bayard and A. Schumitzky, “Implicit Dual Control Based on Particle Filtering and Forward Dynamic Programming,” International Journal of Adaptive Control and Signal Processing, John Wiley & Sons (on-line version in advance of print), November 2008.
- D.S. Bayard and P.B. Brugarolas, “An On-Board Vision-Based Spacecraft Estimation Algorithm for Small Body Exploration,” IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems., Vol. 44, No. 1, pp. 243-260, January 2008.
- D.S. Bayard and G. Neat, “Performance Characterization of a Stellar Interferometer: Identification of Sensor Noise Models from Empirical Data,” IEEE Control Systems Magazine, Vol. 27, No. 5, pp. 90-108, October 2007.