- Ph.D. 1984, State University of New York, Stonybrook
- MS, 1979, State University of New York, Stonybrook
- BA, 1976, City University of New York, Queens College
Stochastic control, adaptive control, signal processing, nonlinear filtering, vision-based navigation, system identification, robust control, dynamic programming/optimization, spacecraft control, and control of large flexible structures
- JPL Technical Fellow
- Senior Research Scientist, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
- Group Supervisor, Guidance & Control Section (343)
- Navigation Lead for NASA’s Ingenuity Mars Helicopter
Professional Society Memberships
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Associate Fellow
- Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers, Senior Member
- Society of Industrial and Applied Mathematics
Society and Editorial Services
- IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, Associate Editor (2000-2003)
- AIAA Technical Committee on Multi-Disciplinary Optimization (MDO) (1998-2002)
- Visiting Professor, State University of New York, Stonybrook (1984)
- Lecturer, USC Medical School, Laboratory of Pharmacokinetics (2005-2009)
- IEEE Control Systems Magazine, People in Control “Luck and Pluck”, Interview with David S. Bayard, Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 26-29, April 2006.
- Control Engineering Practice Award (2006), American Automatic Control Council (AACC)
- NASA Exceptional Engineering Achievement Medal (2005)
- NASA Exceptional Achievement Medal (2002)
- NASA Exceptional Service Medal (1995)
- Four (4) US patents
- Over 180 publications in professional peer-reviews journals and conferences
- Over 60 NASA Tech Brief Awards
- D.S. Bayard, D.T. Conway, R. Brockers, J.H. Delaune, L.H. Matthies, H.F. Grip, G.B. Merewether, T.L. Brown and A.M. San Martin, “Vision-Based Navigation for the NASA Mars Helicopter,” AIAA 2019-1411, AIAA SciTech 2019 Forum, January 7-11, 2019, San Diego, CA, Best GNC Paper Award, AIAA SciTech 2019
- B. Acikmese and D.S. Bayard, “Markov Chain Approach to Probabilistic Swarm Guidance of Autonomous Agents,” Asian Journal of Control, Vol 17, No. 4, pp. 1-20, July 2015, Best Paper Award for 2016, Asian Journal of Control.
- D.S. Bayard, “High Precision Three-Axis Pointing and Control,” (Book Chapter) Encyclopedia of Aerospace Engineering. John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ, December 15, 2010
- D.S. Bayard and A. Schumitzky, “Implicit Dual Control Based on Particle Filtering and Forward Dynamic Programming,” International Journal of Adaptive Control and Signal Processing, Vol. 24, No. 3, pp. 155-177, March 2010.
- D.S. Bayard, “Reduced-Order Kalman Filtering with Relative Measurements,” J. Guidance, Control and Dynamics, Vol. 32, No. 2, pp. 679-686, March-April, 2009.
- D.S. Bayard, B.H. Kang, P.B. Brugarolas, D. Boussalis, “Focal Plane Calibration of the Spitzer Space Telescope: A High-Order Kalman Filtering Approach,” IEEE Control Systems Magazine, Special Edition on Applications of the Kalman Filter, Vol. 29, No. 6, pp. 47-70, December 2009.
- D.S. Bayard and P.B. Brugarolas, “An On-Board Vision-Based Spacecraft Estimation Algorithm for Small Body Exploration,” IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems., Vol. 44, No. 1, pp. 243-260, January 2008.
- D.S. Bayard and G. Neat, “Performance Characterization of a Stellar Interferometer: Identification of Sensor Noise Models from Empirical Data,” IEEE Control Systems Magazine, Vol. 27, No. 5, pp. 90-108, October 2007.
- P. Brugarolas, D.S. Bayard, J. Spanos, W. Breckenridge, “System Identification of a Nonlinear Flexible Mode for the Shuttle Radar Topography Mission,” AIAA J. Guidance, Control and Dynamics, Vol. 29, No. 2, pp. 421-426, March-April 2006.
- D.S. Bayard, “A State-Space Approach to Computing Spacecraft Pointing Jitter,” AIAA J. Guidance, Control and Dynamics, Vol. 27, No. 3, pp. 426-433, May-June 2004.
- D.S. Bayard, “A General Theory of Linear Time Invariant Adaptive Feedforward Systems with Harmonic Regressors,” IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Vol. 45, No. 11, pp. 1983-1996, November 2000.