The facility’s goal is to develop and test Deep-UV Raman/Fluorescence spectrometers for planetary science missions, including Mars 2020 and NASA Astrobiology Institute Science Investigations.
Lab equipment includes:
- State of the art deep UV-Raman/fluorescence instrument for natural sample analysis
- BrassBoard & Breadboard of the SHERLOC flight design
- Prototypes of deep UV field instruments
- Deep UV fluorescence microscope
- UV to Visible Optics/spectrometers/imagers
- Sample preparation stations
- Access to gas handling system including liquid nitrogen access
Ongoing Research Projects:
- SHERLOC on Mars 2020 - data analysis & test-bed validations (L. Beegle PI; R. Bhartia D-PI)
- WATSON PSTAR program (R. Bhartia PI)
- GURILA ASTID Program (R. Bhartia PI)
- NAI Life-Underground (R. Bhartia JPL - PI)
- Current/Future DOD instrument definition & development for detection of chemical & biological threats.