In 2020, Sven was granted a NASA Postdoctoral Fellowship to work in the Submillimeter-Wave Advanced Technology group at NASA JPL. Within the framework of this fellowship, he conducts research on the development of submillimeter-wave antenna array architectures and terahertz devices that are being used for the remote sensing of Earth and planetary bodies.
Prior to joining the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Sven worked towards his Ph.D. degree in Electromagnetics at the Terahertz Sensing Group at Delft University of Technology. During his Ph.D. he specialized in electromagnetic wave theory, high-frequency antenna design, and passive THz imaging systems. He successfully defended his Ph.D. dissertation with cum laude.
- BSc in Electrical Engineering (Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands, 2012)
- M.Sc. in Electrical Engineering (Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands, 2015)
- Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering (Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands, 2020)
His research interests include passive imaging systems, ultra-wideband antennas for millimeter and sub-millimeter wave applications, quasi-optical systems and analytical/numerical techniques in electromagnetics and transmission line characterization.
NASA Postdoctoral Fellowship (2020)
- van Berkel, S.L., 2020. On the Development of Wideband Direct Detection Focal Plane Arrays for THz Passive Imaging Applications. Ph.D. Dissertation. DOI: 10.4233/uuid:bf37535b-3f93-42ab-a337-22aec9cdf981
- van Berkel, S.L., Malotaux, E.S., De Martino, C., Spirito, M., Cavallo, D., Neto, A. and Llombart, N., 2020. Wideband Double Leaky Slot Lens Antennas in CMOS Technology at Submillimeter Wavelengths. IEEE Transactions on Terahertz Science and Technology, 10(5), pp.540-553. DOI: 10.1109/TTHZ.2020.3006750
- van Berkel, S.L., Yurduseven, O., Freni, A., Neto, A. and Llombart, N., 2017. THz imaging using uncooled wideband direct detection focal plane arrays. IEEE Transactions on Terahertz Science and Technology, 7(5), pp.481-492. DOI: 10.1109/TTHZ.2017.2736338